Patrons & Members
PGA Codes of Professional Ethics & OFF-LIST
PGA & PG Graduates
The 9 Gems
Planets & Gems
Jyotish Gem Powers
The Planetary Herbs
Natural Jyotish Pearls
Jyotish Gem Clarity
Mani & Mantra
The PGs Dictionary
PG Reference Material
The PG Diploma
PGA Course Info Links
PGA Cyber Books
(C) 1999 by Planetary Gemologists Association
All rights reserved
123-C All Season Place, 87/208 Wireless Road, Lumpini, Bangkok-10330, Kingdom of Thailand 02-252-1230 E-mail: email@example.com
First an explanation of
Anukul / Pratikul
The Planetary Gemology World is divided into two (2) opposing philosophies, viz., Anukul-vad v/s Pratikul-vad:
ANUKULA-VAD: A Jyotish Gem will act "SAME" as it's planet - So gems should be chosen for Anukul (favorable) grahas
PRATIKUL-VAD: A Jyotish Gem will act "OPPOSITE" of it's planet - So gems should be chosen for Pratikul (unfavorable) grahas
Anukul Planet's gem choosing method for resorting to or harnessing one's auspicious (Anukul) planet(s) (exalted, mulatrikona, own sign, benefic, great friend, good house, owner of good house, etc.) based on the concept that lucky planet = lucky gem! In Jyotish there are basically two broad categories of planetary position, viz., favorable (to the chart) (Anukul) OR unfavorable (to the chart). One should avoid their weakness and cultivate their strengths. "Ratna-anukul" means the auspicious gem of strongest most desirable planet. Example: One has Leo Lagna - their lagna lord is Sun, who is exalted (100% strength) and posited in the 9th house which is all very auspicious. That person would be advised to use a fine ruby, the Sunís gem, to attract or harness his auspicious influence. On the other hand if a person had Saturn debilitated (0% strength) and in the 8th house they would be advised to avoid Saturnís gem blue sapphire and all other Saturnine things or activities. And better still they could donate a blue sapphire to pacify Shanideva. The followers of Anukul-vad believe that the pratikul-graha color is the unlucky color, and to magnify that bad color will simply increase the problems caused by that unlucky Planet. Both methods believe that gems increase cosmic colors of their planets, thus for an Anukuli it is considered to be suicide to increase a pratikul-graha's color. In Anukul there is never a case where a Pratikul (harmful to the chart/native) planet's gem should be worn as it will surely increase the ill fortune; but such gems for a Pratikul planet can be used by DONATING them - giving them AWAY - according to Shastric directions. A pure anukuli believes that a pratikul-gem is NEVER good to use; it is increasing the cosmic poison, and ill fortune (a person's bad cosmic vibes) should NEVER be increased. Anukul means a planet that is beneficially disposed either by being strong in own sign, good house, ruler of houses which will bring positive results, or otherwise not ill disposed nor inclined to produce evil influence. A planet which is good for the chart either naturally or by house ruler ship yet somewhat weakened by placement may be strengthened through the gem, or a planet which already is strong and giving benefic influence may be further strengthened for gains in particular areas of life by wearing the gem.
Pratikul Planet's gem choosing method for overcoming a weak or evil planet, based on the misconception that a 'pratikul' (inauspicious) planet is strengthened by wearing it's gem and there by it changes from being inauspicious (pratikul) to become auspicious (anukul). ILLOGIC: By providing the gem for a malefic planet, benefic results will follow. Example: A person has Jupiter debilitated and a malefic which is inauspicious or pratikul, but by wearing Jupiter's gem, yellow sapphire or another yellow Jupiter jewel, it is believed that the 'weak' (troublesome) Jupiter gets strengthened and REVERSES to become auspicious. Some persons opine that a harmful planet means that the planet's "cosmic color" is weak. The gems for the planets are concentrated essential cosmic color rays; so by wearing the gem for the weak, Pratikul (harmful) color that weak color is strengthened, and when the weak color is stronger then the harmful influence will be REVERSED, removed or mitigated. Pratikul means a planet that causes evil influence or suffering to the native as seen through the horoscope. This may be a debilitated planet who is in a dusthana and enemy of the lord of the lagna, or otherwise disposed that the influence simply causes suffering.
Before describing the most popular methods, let me first say that choosing gems which are favorable (Anukul for the native's chart) as well as clean (amala) and auspicious, these two are a MUST in planetary gemology. Of the 6 PGA CODES the prohibition against astrological use of synthetics is the least of all PG evils as synthetics have no harmful effect because they have NO effect whatsoever. The most important considerations are Anukul-graha gem choosing and flawless gems - 100% loupe clean down to 80% loupe clean is an acceptable range in our experience. Always exercise CAUTION with any gem that has clarity below 80% loupe clean. Very flawed gems are dead due to serious life-ending defects, and according to Shastra, "If anyone wears a gem with many flaws (even) out of ignorance, then grief, anxiety, sickness, death, loss of wealth and other evils torment them."--- Sri Garuda Purana:1.70.19
When choosing gems we must add up the pluses in a chart. For example, one chart has a planet exalted in a good house but a functional malefic and lord of two bad houses, so on the surface we have two pluses and three minuses or "+ + - - -" , i.e., a good sign placement, a good house placement, but it is unfavorable by nature for the native, and is lord of two bad houses. Another chart might have a debilitated planet that is a functional benefic and in a good house, and lord of two good houses, so that means a "- + + + +" In the first example we could rule the planet as borderline unfavorable (pratikul); but the 2nd case has the planet mostly favorable (anukul) - So a weak, beneficial planet can be made stronger. A strong anukul planet can also be made even stronger to attain certain goals, like making an exalted Sun even stronger because the native desires fame or increase in stature (provided the native HAS the karma to achieve that, because we cannot do BETTER than our karma).
Taking this further one could see planetary periods in motion, movements of Saturn, Yogini-dashas, as well as aspects, navamsa positions, etc. to first of all conclude if the planet in question is FAVORABLE - OR - UNFAVORABLE for the chart, all things considered. It doesn't matter if a planet is strong or weak, it only matters that the planet is judged as favorable (anukul-graha) or unfavorable (pratikul-graha). An anukul-graha can always be strengthened, but a pratikul-graha should never be strengthened
RATNA-ARPANA: Gems for Pratikul-grahas may be DONATED or GIVEN AWAY in a form of Vedic charity to achieve Graha-shanti is another subject known as, "Ratna-arpana." Using gem donations is he ONLY time an UNFAVORABLE planetary gem should be used by the native - by giving it AWAY. The native should be informed what planets are most FAVORABLE for them and then the native may choose from among their Anukul-graha-ratnas or favorable planetary gems.
Adding the plus and minus points to determine which planets are most favorable to the native enables us to proceed further.
1. First look to the lagna or rising sign and then check the lord of the rising sign to see if it is in an auspicious condition in the rasi and navamsa charts. If this is the case then we wholeheartedly prescribe the gemstone ruled by the lagna's lord. Example: If one has Leo rising we look to the position of the Sun (Lord of Leo) in the chart. If the Sun is posited in an auspicious sign, e.g., sign of exaltation, own sign, trine, or at least a friendly sign, it will act in a beneficial way. If any of these are the case then we may recommended ruby or another "Sun jewel" as one's first gem choice. NOTE: If the birth time is unknown or unsure then skip this method...
of the primary rising sign gems is given as follows:
2. We next
check the position of the planet ruling one's mahadasha or major planetary
period. If this planet is well-placed in both the rasi as well as the
navamsa charts then we prescribe that planet's gemstone(s) for use during
the duration of the mahadasha period. Example: If one is in or entering
a Jupiter mahadasha and if Jupiter is posited in an auspicious sign and/or
house position, then we recommend yellow sapphire or another natural yellow
gemstone. At the time of ones birth a certain planetary period will be
in motion. If a person is born in the middle of their Venus major period
then they still have 10 more years of major Venus influence before they
change into their Sun period at the age of 10 years. Each major planetary
period follows a certain order and is of a fixed period of time - this
information is given as follows:
3. Also look to one's birth sign or Moon rasi , i.e., the sign in which the Moon is posited at the time of one's birth. In sidereal astrology the Moon's sign position is considered very important. Example: If one's Moon sign is Leo, a sign ruled by the Sun, then look to the sign and house position of the Sun in the horoscope. If the Sun is located in an auspicious position in their chart (unless otherwise afflicted) then one can recommend a ruby or other red Sun jewel as one's "birth stone."
the list of primary Vedic "birthstones"
4. Then check the janma-naksatra or the constellation in which the Moon is posited at birth. Each of these 27 birth stars is ruled by one of the nine planets recognized in sidereal astrology. Example: If one's birth constellation is "punarvasu" (the 7th constellation), which is ruled by Jupiter, then look to the position of Jupiter in the horoscope. If Jupiter is located in an auspicious sign and/or house position in the rasi chart (unless otherwise afflicted) then recommend yellow sapphire or another yellow "Jupiter" jewel.
Following is a list of the 27 constellations, their ruling planet and corresponding primary gemstone:
5. Next examine all the nine planets in the rasi chart to see if any are exalted. Planets which are in their sign of maximum strength (exaltation) give positive and beneficial results, and their gemstone(s) may be used with advantage.
6. Another consideration is sign ownership . A planet which is located in it's own sign will give beneficial results, and that planet's gem can also be used to advantage.
7. A further consideration is any planet which is in it's sign of mulatrikona or trine. A Planet in mulatrikona gives beneficial results similar to an exalted planet, and their gem(s) may be used to advantage.
8. A planet which is located in a friendly sign can also give beneficial results, and it's gemstone may be used to advantage.
9. The final consideration is 'preference' based on the characteristic "planetary influence." Example: If a person wishes to use a Sun jewel like ruby or red spinel to increase their name and fame, then they can use that stone provided the person's Sun is not located in an unfriendly or inauspicious sign and/or house position in their sidereal horoscope.
SPECIAL: Using Planetary Gems by DONATING them. It is our experience that fine, natural gemstones do indeed "strengthen" or magnify the influence of their associated planets. Therefore, lucky planets = lucky gems. If a person intends to wear their lucky gemstone then they should only use gems which are related to planets that are considered to be "lucky" or posited in an auspicious rasi (zodiac sign) and/or bhava (house) in their sidereal birth chart. Gemstones do not alter or change the angle, position or condition in which planets are placed in one's horoscope. Methods for propitiating or reducing the harmful effects of evil or malevolently placed planets in one's birth chart include the chanting of planetary mantras, prescribed sacrifices and charity. These may be performed along with the use of associated planetary gemstones to help "magnify" the prayer. A person who is unwilling to perform these meritorious acts should not use gems for unlucky planets.
Please address all correspondence to firstname.lastname@example.org
Ref. ©1995 Ancient Astrological Gemstones & Talismans
NOTE: Also see PGA survey, TEN PRIMARY GEM CHOOSING METHODS <<<More Info
PGA Patrons & Members
This is the NEW list of Planetary Gemology Service Providers. PGA Patrons & Members only. Please join and get listed!
Jyotish Gem Powers AT A GLANCE
FEATURE PGA Patron & Member NEWS
The Sanskrit name for the PGA was composed by HONORARY PATRON Prof. Dr. Satya Vrat Shastri, Padma Shree